Monday, September 15, 2014

My phoenix week

I was feeling pretty bummed after my first few essay's and exams, I always struggle with the first ones of a semester if they would just be exempt from grading my GPA would probably be 100% better. My learning curve is pretty good when it comes to classes thus I have never chickened out of a class in college. This semester has me all flustered with a overall bad start to the semester financially and difficulty level even down to the basics such as language and rowing. When rowing is odd that's when you know shit is going down. As a starboard rower of about 5 and a half years to the one semester of port, rowing port this season is definitely a hard transition as well as being out of bow and into the middle of the boat behind the two biggest guys. Being 5'11 i'm short for rowing as the average rower is between 6'2 and 6'6. Thus, I must pull more than my own body weight in order to compete with the massive trees that call themselves people. Rowing is the core of my day and routine, a staple if you will. To have that flipped and to have a previous boat-mate/captain/role-model/friend as a coach is also very strange. Especially being a new captain myself the role adjustment is odd and difficult especially with such different personalities and approaches to rowing. I'm more relaxed and cold anger while he is all swearing and fire. With so many changes including place of residence my world is all flipped around and the adjustment period has not been easy, not to mention the breakout with a girlfriend at the start of the semester too. The odds have been stacked against me, but I don't like losing as time has showed. When I lose I rise back stronger and better than ever, which is why I cherish my ink friend close to my heart of a phoenix. When its strength fails and it crumbles to ash it raises back with strength anew ready to face the world adapted to the new hardships.  

No comments:

Post a Comment