Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Seat race

After spending three days racing on both the ergs and the water we have finally stopped seat racing members of the boat for the race coming up in 9 days. Three seat lost his seat due to a lack of experience and technique problems. I see greater long term potential in this rower but my vote was out measured by the fact that we need the most set boat for everyone to be able to lay down power in the boat. By that logic he lost his seat today. Its hard for it not to feel personal when we are all so close knit and friends but at the end of the day the boat was faster with the new guy. Tomorrow starts small boat training and more seat racing. All this high rate work has me so tired I will just fall asleep randomly instead of lapses of consciousness as is normal when bored and tired. Life as a student athlete is so hard when your sport receives no recognition by the school even though our workouts are more demanding they any varsity sport on campus. Rowing is very misunderstood by southern communities unlike up north or in the UK where the title rower is regarded with respect vs. questions on whether or not its like kayaking. As a rather short rower of only 5'11 in a boat of 6'2 and up I row harder and pull more of my own weight than anyone else to hold my position as the fastest rower. Pulling a ratio of 1.79 watts to weight pound for pound i'm the strongest guy on the team short I may be, I don't let it dictate my strength or technique. Everyday I must push harder to stay up with the lazy giants who have yet to realize how strong they could be. I am a last minute worker because I work best when I have no other choice thus this is the best situation to make me work hardest. I wish I could spend all day speaking french and pouring our grammar only to row at the crack of dawn and again at sundown. Sadly tests hw and work and so much else seems to like to get in the way. The goal is to one day live the dream, if at least for one day to have a day of rowing in France. A beautiful language and a beautiful sport both far harder then they seem but when it works it is beautiful and simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment